Recaps from KIJHL Friday playoff action


The Kelowna Chiefs caused chaos at the North Okanagan Knights net in Game 1 of their KIJHL playoff series at Rutland Arena.

Emanuel Sequeira/KIJHL Media

Pursuit of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League Teck Cup began Friday.


In Kimberley, the Creston Valley Thunder Cats disappointed the homeside with a 3-2 overtime win to take Game 1. Travis Thorhaug set up Corbin Cockerill for the winner in the first overtime with 37 seconds remaining. Jaden Little turned aside 36 of 38 shots. Benjamin Kruse and Connor Scammell also scored for the Thunder Cats. Brock Palmer and Beau Larson had given the Dynamiters a 2-0 lead.


The Columbia Valley Rockies took Game 1 in their series against the Fernie Ghostriders, 4-3. Greg Parker netted the winner with 1:37 remaining. Bretton Park made 35 of 38 saves for the win. Colby Phillips, Gavin Fleck and Benjamin Lake also scored for Columbia Valley. Alaister Standen, Levi Young and Greg Susinski scored for the Ghostriders.


The North Okanagan Knights defeated the Kelowna Chiefs 3-2 in overtime on a controversial goal by Ethan Matchim, 23 seconds into the period. Matchim had a two-goal night. The Knights opened the scoring on a goal by Kyle Bax. Nathan Driver and Marshall Porteous scored for the Chiefs. Sean Kanervisto made 32 saves for the Knights.

The Princeton Posse took their opening game against the Summerland Steam, 7-3. Terrance Josephson scored the winning goal when he gave the Posse a 4-2 lead. Josephson had two goals. Also scoring for the Posse were Trevor Gulenchyn (two), Brendan Adams, Aubrey MacLeod and Josh Olson. For the Steam it was Morey Babakaiff, Matthew Byrne and Tyson Conroy. Jaysen MacLean made 36 saves.


The Revelstoke Grizzlies defeated the Kamloops Storm 6-0. All the Grizzlies offence came in the second period. Cash Sawchyn scored the winner, with other goals coming from Finn Withey, Rider McCallumn, Brenden Vulcano, Jordan Kohlman and Cody Flann. Noah Desouza earned a 24-save shutout. Carter Anderson, Sawchyn and Kole Christensson had two-point performances.


The 100 Mile House Wranglers defeated the Chase Heat 5-2. Luke Recchi opened the scoring, giving the Heat a 1-0 lead. Darian Long, with two goals, scored the winning goal to give the Wranglers a 3-2 lead. Also scoring for the Wranglers were Cody Barnes with two and Cory Loring. The other Heat goal was from Cameron McKenzie. Jordan Wilde made 44 saves for the Wranglers.


The Beaver Valley Nitehawks erased a 2-0 deficit to defeat the Castlegar Rebels 3-2 in overtime. Jordan Adams and Justin Duguay scored for the Rebels. The Nitehawks comeback started with three minutes left in the third when Luke Woodrow scored, then Bradley Ross found the back of the net. Nathan Ingram netted the overtime winner with 4:08 remaining. Dawson Rattai made 54 saves in the loss, while Hunter Young made 29 for the Nitehawks.


The Nelson Leafs picked up a 4-1 win over the Spokane Braves. The Braves opened the scoring at 15:48 on a goal by Ian McIntosh. Leafs captain David Sanchez tied the game with 2:51 remaining in the first period. The Leafs capitalized twice in the second on goals by Reid Wilson and Shawn Campbell, who added his second on the power play with 7:48 remaining in the third. Anderson Violette made 27 saves for the win.